Download our FREE smartphone app today!
The academy teaches all subjects of the National Curriculum and RE. The curriculum has been developed and overhauled to ensure that it is broad and balanced, and relevant for the pupils and families who attend the academy. The Governors and Senior Leaders work to ensure that the curriculum places a clear emphasis on the promotion of British Values through the curriculum. .
We follow the maths mastery programme to teach maths at the school, with children enjoying maths lesson involving partner practice, focussed learning, practical application, recording with challenge, and further deeper thinking questions.
In writing, our key texts are linked to the curriculum, ensuring that writing is purposeful, relevant and exciting. Some children are taught phonics through the Read Write Inc. programme to ensure they develop the skills needed to read in a systematic and proven manner. Children are taught in small ability groups, with specially trained Read Write Inc. tutors. Children experience reading lessons every morning with their class teacher, focussing on reading skills and comprehension of texts.
Equality curriculum intent
Harris Junior Academy Carshalton welcomes all children and values them as individuals, treating them equally and with respect. We believe that all children have the right to have their own needs incorporated into their curriculum in order to achieve success through the following approaches;
- Provide an accessible environment, which is secure and safe, so that all our children can flourish.
- We believe that all teachers are teachers of children with special educational needs and it is therefore a whole school responsibility to ensure that these children’s needs are addressed.
- Through staff working together as a team, and in partnership with pupils and their parents and carers, we strive to ensure that our aims are met.
- Ensure all staff are aware of anti-discriminatory practice, promoting and valuing equality and diversity.
- Promote early identification of children with additional needs to ensure interventions are in place to address their needs.
- Monitor the progress of all our children to ensure they are meeting their full potential.
- Work with all external agencies and organisations
- To build relationships with other schools within our community including specialist and out-with Harris Federation.
- We ensure that our curriculum is fully inclusive and will not discriminate against the protected characteristics: age, disability, gender, gender identity, race, religion or belief and sexual orientation.
- Our inclusive teaching approach ensures that all children can access the learning using resources and strategies that they may need, including modified language, additional support or resource.
- Follow the guidance in the SEN Code of Practice, Equalities Act 2014 and The Special Educational Needs and Disability Regulations 2014
Our Harris Federation Curriculum Lead is Sam French.
The curriculum maps for Autumn 2 for each year group are available below.
If you are interested in specific subjects: